Sensory Medicine: Vets Rely on Their Senses for Diagnoses

ILLUSTRATION BY GEORGE PETERS

“Your patients can’t talk—how do you know what’s wrong with them?” It’s a question I’m often asked. I understand why people would be curious, but the fact that my patients cannot speak is not something that I think about. Like every veterinarian, I deduce, detect and read between the lines to reach a diagnosis.

I gather as much information as possible from the humble history and physical exam, knowing that although high-tech equipment and testing may be available, it may also be out of a client’s price range. Some of these approaches might seem quaint to a physician who is able to order a multitude of tests, knowing that the person’s insurance will be billed. Most of my patients do not have insurance, so I must justify every test to a client, while they weigh the expense.

Tags: 



via Whisker Therapy
[blogger]

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Theme images by Storman. Powered by Blogger.