Marking the Days

old dog

Day 1

Today I had leftovers. I lacked my usual enthusiasm as I ate the salmon and rice. It was a dry meal, but I generally love dry meals. My thoughts were too occupied with Gladys; I just couldn’t find the pleasure and excitement I usually have while eating.

Gladys, my life partner of 19 years, has fallen deathly ill. She is in the hospital. And here I am, trapped in our home, barred from visiting, prevented from providing comfort in her final hours. So, I ate my food alone. When I reached the final bite, I hesitated. I wanted to leave it; I wanted to preserve just a few morsels of the final meal Gladys would ever prepare for me, but I lacked the strength. I ate all the leftovers.

 




via Whisker Therapy
[blogger]

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Theme images by Storman. Powered by Blogger.